What Are Diversity, Equity & Inclusion?
Diversity. The representation of varied identities and differences, collectively and individually.
Diversity acknowledges that we all have differences, which makes every human being uniquely diverse. Diversity is more than just ethnicity or gender, and it's more than just demographics. It encompasses every person's unique blend of demographic characteristics, experiences and perspectives. All three types of diversity shape a person's identity, and all our differences matter.
Equity. The assurance of fair treatment and equal opportunity for every person.
Equity is built on a foundation of mutual respect and dignity. It acknowledges that people do not all start from the same place. It serves to identify and eliminate barriers that have prevented the full participation of historically underserved and underrepresented populations. Every person deserves a fair opportunity to develop, contribute and succeed.
Inclusion. Cultivating an environment where every person is valued.
Inclusion is the cultivation of an environment where every person feels welcome and is appreciated for who they are and for what they can distinctively offer. It means that everyone contributes to the success of the business and the people around them. It is more than merely giving people a seat at the table to create an illusion of inclusion. It means the manager or leader hears from all key players for that particular project and assignment and takes into account their ideas prior to making final decisions.
Download The Diversity, Equity And Inclusion Playbook The Diversity, Equity And Inclusion Playbook
It can be challenging to know where to start. For many people, launching a diversity initiative means changing everything simultaneously. For others, it means hiring diversity into the organization. While a holistic approach may address many areas of concern, it can be overwhelming.
That is why we wrote the PPAI Diversity, Equity And Inclusion Playbook. This playbook will:
- Guide you through the essentials of diversity, equity and inclusion
- Lead you through an evaluation process to identify areas for improvement
- Help you identify strategies to develop targeted initiatives based on your evaluation results
- Establish a process to continue your diversity, equity and inclusion journey
Large or small, your team and your organization will experience significant benefits when diversity, equity and inclusion are woven into its foundation. Use The PPAI Diversity, Equity And Inclusion Playbook to begin your journey.
Training And Workshops
As you embark on your diversity, equity and inclusion journey, contact Julie Kwan, PPAI’s diversity and inclusion program manager, to:
- Share your experience
- Ask for assistance or advice
- Request a speaker to come to your event/meeting, a facilitated workshop or training sessions
Diversity & Inclusion
- Why Generational Diversity Is The Ultimate Competitive Advantage
- The 3 Types Of Diversity That Shape Our Identities
The ARTS Of Diversity & Inclusion
- 6 Steps For Building An Inclusive Workplace
- How To Increase Workplace Diversity
- Here Comes Gen Z: How To Attract And Retain The Workforce's Newest Generation
- How Employers Can Attract The Best Workers In The New Flexible Labor Market
- What Attracts And Retains Today's Talent? LinkedIn's New Research Says 3 Surprising Things